Conducting Skin Sensitivity Testing for Herbal Skin Care
1. Keep a list of ingredients or create labels for all items.
2. A thorough skin sensitivity test can be completed by placing a small amount of the herbal formula or an ingredient on a small, freshly cleaned (use inodorous cleanser), dry area of the inner arm with a small wooden or reusable applicator.
3. Cover that area with a waterproof bandage or sterile gauze, and wait between 24 to 48 hours before regular use of an item.
4. If undecided, choose the maximum amount of time for 48 hours.
5. Cleanse the area after the skin sensitivity test (use inodorous cleanser).
1. Skin sensitivity testing is most important for those who often experience skin-related issues, such as severely dry, cracking, or bleeding skin.
2. Those with common skin sensitivity.
3. Individuals prone to allergic experiences or those who experience hives, rashes, or welts more than most.
4. Small children and youth. The use of particular ingredients may not be suitable.
5. Individuals ingesting prescription medications. The use of particular ingredients may not be suitable.
6. Individuals who are pregnant or nursing. The use of particular ingredients may not be suitable.
7. Those who are considerably older. The use of particular ingredients may not be suitable.
8. Those undergoing any additional circumstances of concern. The use of particular ingredients may not be suitable.
9. Anyone wanting to test an ingredient or ingredients on the skin that they haven't experienced before.
Skin sensitivity testing doesn't ensure that irritable skin conditions will not develop later with additional applications of an item. Regarding essential oil ingredients, inhalation or application may induce dizziness, headaches, and nausea, but is usually thought to be rare. If there is sensitization or irritation from any ingredient type, immediately cleanse the area (use inodorous cleanser) and remove the item to avoid future use.
Essential oils and herbal ingredients are usually known to be safe for use by many when diluted or prepared and utilized responsibly, but an individual should always research and may find it beneficial to consult their licensed healthcare provider/practitioner before use if there are prior concerns.
Purchasing can become a slight challenge at times when searching for genuine (unadulterated) essential oils. Product information should be labeled and always visible to the purchaser.
This information is provided for general informational purposes and is not a substitute or definitive to replace physicians’ care.